Saturday, September 18, 2010

Find Us Faithful

from Ray Ortlund:

“But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself. For I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore, do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God.” 1 Corinthians 4:3-5

"My brother pastor, tomorrow you will preach and lead. You desire to be found faithful. But by whose standards of faithfulness are you to be judged? Whose opinion finally counts?

"You desire, and rightly so, to please everyone in everything you do (1 Corinthians 10:33). But not even Paul succeeded in that desire. The Corinthians were so self-assured, they put even the great apostle under their negative scrutiny. I hope everyone in your church thinks you’re wonderful. If you are faithful to Christ, you are. But some might judge you. They might even attack you deeply and personally. Well, “So they persecuted the prophets who were before you” (Matthew 5:12). Should you listen for whatever wisdom might be embedded in the criticisms? Sure. But don’t let anyone but Christ define you. Take those criticisms to him, looking honestly at his Word, looking humbly at yourself, and let him be the judge. Paul considered human criticism “a very small thing.”

"What others think of you does not determine who you are. What you think of yourself doesn’t even determine who you are and what you’re worth. You serve the Lord Christ. Be faithful to him, be set apart to him alone, and he will commend you. And with that assurance strengthening your heart, you can love your critics more than they expect to be loved."

No comments: