Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Emergents and Exegesis

Recently I've been commenting on Michael Wittmer's blog, engaging with an emergent philosophy professor from Calvin College. To be honest, my interactions with him have led me to question, even more deeply than before, whether the emergent/emerging movements are committed to careful exegesis of Scripture as they formulate and communicate their ideas. I say this after reading to a modest but meaningful degree authors (and bloggers) like Brian McLaren and Rob Bell.

Titus 1:9 and 2 Timothy 2:15 come to mind.

1 comment:

EH said...

Well I was headed to bed and thought that I would check up on the blogs before I punched out...bad idea... I just spent the last 45 min reading the posts and comments on Whittmer's blog. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts as well as others.

I find it fascinating, let me rephrase, disturbing to think that one can consider themselves or another a Christian because they live out a good moral lifstyle which happens to be taken from the life of Christ. Oh how desperatly we need a revival in the land. Evangelicals across the board need to return to the truths of scripture, the truths of who God is, and believe and embrace Jesus Christ. Then in response to the truth of the gospel, one lives in his community the very gospel. This of course happens when one enbraces God's grace and love through Christ and in turn is compelled forward by love to live out love as he is physically being transformed.
( Rom. 12:1-2, 2 Cor. 3:18 )
Thanks for your constant reminder of the truth and for giving a good expamle to follow as you live out.
(2 Tim 2:15, Titus 1:9)