Saturday, February 16, 2008

Everything Sad Will Come Untrue

"I tell you the truth, at the renewal of all things, the Son of Man will sit on his glorious throne." (Jesus, Matthew 19:28)

"Jesus insisted that his return will be with such power that the very material world and universe will be purged of all decay and brokenness. All will be healed and all might-have-beens will be.

"Just after the climax of the trilogy The Lord of the Rings, Sam Gamgee discovers that his friend Gandalf was not dead (as he thought) but alive. He cries, 'I thought you were dead! But then I thought I was dead myself! Is everything sad going to come untrue?'

"The answer of Christianity to that questions is--yes. Everything sad is going to come untrue and it will somehow be greater for having once been broken and lost."

-- Tim Keller, "The Reason for God" p.33 (Dutton, 2008)
thereasonforgod.com

No comments: