Saturday, February 23, 2008

Christ-centered Cultural Leadership

Tullian follows up with another excellent post, regarding 'Christ-centered cultural leadership.' The entire post, from the perspectives of John Seel, is thought-provoking and important -- here's just an excerpt:

"There are requirements for effective Christ-centered cultural leadership.

"First, individuals must be appropriately transformed and trained: theologically grounded, spiritually empowered, and culturally discerning. Second, individuals must be members of local churches that assist them in maintaining a kingdom perspective and hold them personally accountable in their public and private callings. Third, individuals must be strategically located within the reality-defining institutions of society — the academy, art, media, advertising, and entertainment. And finally, individuals must seek to winsomely mobilize their professional strategic institutional networks for kingdom purposes — serving human flourishing more than sectarian interests....."

"Dallas Willard warns, 'The real presence of Christ as a world-governing force will come solely as his called out people occupy their stations in the holiness and power characteristic of him, as they demonstrate to the world the way to live that is best in every respect.'"

4 comments:

Brian said...

Thank you so much for this post! This really encourages me in my pursuit of medicine. Anything else you come across that is similar to this would be appreciated!

Wes said...

Hi Pastor D. I'll second Brian: great post! I feel like I am just waking up to the battlefield all around me at MSU.

Douglas Phillips said...

hey Brian and Wes,

I'm glad you found this post encouraging. There are some good books and resources out there about how we can authentically be 'salt and light' in whatever vocations we pursue. I'll try to use the blog to highlight these whenever I can.

One great book that comes to mind right now is "Engaging God's World (A Christian Vision of Faith, Learning and Living)" by Cornelius Plantinga.

Peace,
Doug

Wes said...

Thanks for that reference. I'll check that one out for my next read. I just finished "Ministering in the Secular University" by J.R. Mellichamp which I found helpful as well. It has a bit too much on the 'four spiritual laws' but otherwise has some good ideas for Christian professors and graduate students.