Monday, May 13, 2013

"To the Rescue"


"I give my sheep eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand."  John 10:28

“Some will tell us that a man may receive spiritual life, and yet may die eternally.  That is to say, a man may be forgiven, and yet be punished afterwards.  He may be justified from all sin, and yet after that his transgression can be laid on his shoulders again.  A man may be born of God, and yet die.  A man may be loved of God, and yet God may hate him tomorrow. . . . As for me, I so deeply believe in the immutable love of Jesus that I suppose that if one believer were to be in hell, Christ himself would not long stay in heaven but would cry, ‘To the rescue!’”

-- Charles Haddon Spurgeon, “The Two Effects of the Gospel,” 27 May 1855.

HT: Ray Ortlund, Jr.

No comments: