Thursday, February 23, 2012

"...now I go where I shall live by sight..."

My wife's Aunt Ruth went to be with the Lord tonight.  I thought of this passage from Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress":

"…I see myself now at the end of my journey; my toilsome days are ended. I am going to see that head which was crowned with thorns, and that face which was spit upon for me.

"I have formerly lived by hearsay and faith; but now I go where I shall live by sight, and shall be with him in whose company I delight myself.

"I have loved to hear my Lord spoken of; and wherever I have seen the print of his shoe in the earth, there I have coveted to set my foot too. His name has been to me as a civet[perfume]-box; yea, sweeter than all perfumes. His voice to me has been most sweet, and his countenance I have more desired than they that have most desired the light of the sun.

"His words I did use to gather for my food, and for antidotes against my faintings. He hath held me, and hath kept me from mine iniquities; yea, my steps hath he strengthened in his way…."


-- The words of Mr. Standfast at the conclusion of "Pilgrim’s Progress"(part 2) as he crosses the river of death into Heaven

No comments: