Tuesday, November 1, 2011

"The most important thing..."

Here is Ray Ortlund's moving tribute to his father (Ray Ortlund, Sr., whose "Haven of Rest" broadcasts really ministered to me early in my Christian life):  

"I think about my dad a lot.  I miss him so much it aches sometimes.  But the most important thing he taught me was this.  There is only one way to live: all-out, go-for-broke, risk-taking enthusiasm for Christ.

"Halfway Christianity is the most miserable existence of all.  Halfhearted Christians know enough about their sin to feel guilty about themselves, but they haven’t given themselves enough to the Savior to become happy in him. Wholehearted Christianity is happy.

"How could my dad get there and stay there?  He really, really knew that God loved him and had completely forgiven all his sins at the cross of Jesus.  He did not wring his hands, wondering what God thought of him.  He believed the good news, his spirit soared and he could never do too much for Jesus.

"I am thankful for what I saw in my dad.  It’s the most valuable thing anyone has ever given me.  I want everyone to have this treasure."

No comments: