Friday, June 11, 2010

"The Lord Who Acts Like It"

Here is an excellent, thought-provoking essay from Mark Galli and "Christianity Today" online.

The subtitle states the main idea: "Where did we get the idea that the church should be a place that makes people feel comfortable?"

And here is an excerpt:

"Making people comfortable is a good thing, part of Christian hospitality. But does it strike anyone else as odd how reticent many churches are to make it plain to visitors that when they enter the church, they are entering a sovereign state where someone besides the State is Lord?

In my younger years, I was an associate pastor of an English speaking church in Mexico City. The church ministers to missionaries, business people, and diplomats and their families. I once made a pastoral call on the economic attaché to the U.S. Embassy in his office. When I stepped into his office, there was no mistaking who was sovereign there. A large American flag hung off to the side of his massive desk, and a picture of the President of the United States hung behind. The embassy official was very cordial to me, and did indeed make me feel comfortable as we sat for coffee in a little receiving area at the front of his office. But there was no mistaking whom my friend served, and who was lord of that office."

I encourage you to read the entire article.

No comments: