Monday, July 8, 2024

"Amazing Grace" (full version)

 "Amazing Grace" (extended version)

John Newton’s Full Poem

(from which we get the hymn, "Amazing Grace")


In evil long I took delight,

unawed by shame or fear;

Till a new object met my sight,

and stopped my wild career:


I saw One hanging on a tree

in agonies and blood;

Who fixed His languid eyes on me

as near His cross I stood.


Sure, never till my latest breath

can I forget that look;

It seemed to charge me with His death,

though not a word He spoke.


My conscience felt and owned the guilt,

and plunged me in despair;

I saw my sins His blood had shed,

and helped to nail Him there.


Alas, I knew not what I did,

but all my tears were vain;

Where could my trembling soul be hid,

for I, the Lord, had slain!


A second look He gave that said,

"I freely all forgive!"

"This blood is for thy ransom paid,

I died that thou mayest live!"


Amazing grace,

how sweet the sound,

that saved a wretch like me,

I once was lost, but now am found,

was blind, but now I see.


'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,

and grace my fears relieved;

How precious did that grace appear

the hour I first believed!


Thro' many dangers, toils and snares

I have already come:

'Tis grace hath bro't me safe thus far,

and grace will lead me home.


The Lord has promised good to me,

His Word my hope secures;

He will my shield and portion be,

as long as life endures.


Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail,

and mortal life shall cease;

I shall possess within the veil,

a life of joy and peace.


The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,

the sun forbear to shine;

But God Who called me here below

shall be forever mine.


-- John Newton


No comments: