Thursday, May 6, 2010

"This is my story...."

It's my 50th birthday today (as friends have relentlessly reminded me!), so I can't help but reflect a little. I am reminded today how much grace the Lord has shown me, saving grace because of His cross and empty tomb.... but also the special and 'ordinary' grace of a loving wife, faithful, fun and persevering friends, and the love and support of family.

I am very much aware that so much of the harder things I've experienced in my life (and they have been mercifully few) have come , far too often, as the harvest of sinful actions, choices and attitudes of my own making. But I am even more aware of how undeservedly and wisely and repeatedly my gracious God keeps overruling even these things for my good, redeeming them as he redeems me.

And, again, I have been powerfully reminded this week how much of the time God's grace and truth are channeled into my life through the many amazing friends and loved ones He has given as some of his best gifts -- along with the gift of good health and the heart-humbling privilege of the calling to pastoral ministry, ministry to people who I so sincerely love, respect and care about in the churches where I've served.

There are some who seem to live as if they are constantly entitled to a better life than the one they have. But for all my flaws and blind spots, that's one mistake I do not now make, for I know one thing for sure: I have received so much more grace and goodness and generosity from God and God's people than I could have ever hoped for. I am a very 'unentitled man.' If I today, had what I deserved...what I'm entitled to, I would be a very miserable man -- in this life, and then.....

In the words of the song,

Were it not for grace
I can tell you where I'd be
Wandering down some pointless road to nowhere
With my salvation up to me
I know how that would go
The battles I would face
Forever running but losing the race
Were it not for grace

So here is all my praise
Expressed with all my heart
Offered to the Friend who took my place
And ran a course I could not start
And when He saw in full
Just how much His would cost
He still went the final mile between me and heaven
So I would not be lost
....

Or in the words of the ultimate song on this theme,
"Tis grace that led me safe thus far, and grace will lead me home...."


*words and music by David Hamilton and Phill McHugh
copyright 1997 BridgeBuilding Music

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Doug for the reminder that everything we have is because of GRACE! Not deserved, not entitled, not earned, but given to us because of His grace.