Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Your Heart Is Fickle

'You need to admit that this side of eternity your heart is fickle. I get uncomfortable in those worship-service moments when we are singing, “You are my all in all,” You’re my priceless treasure,” ‘With all my heart I love you,” or “I adore you.” I often stop singing and think, “Really? Do I?” Does love of God rule my heart unchallenged? Does it? Is God at the center of my affections, the focus of my greatest joys? Really, is he? I think we seriously underestimate the fickle nature of our sinful hearts. We quickly switch loyalties. We rapidly trade affection for one thing for another. We all too easily give way to our love. We willingly abandon commitments we forcefully made. We fail to do what we promised. We abandon our dreams for what we think would be a better dream. Our hearts will only ever be truly loyal and stable when our hearts are sin-free. As long as sin lives inside of us in some way, we’re all sadly shopping for a better, more satisfying master, denying the glory of the Master that by grace we’ve been given.'

-- Paul David Tripp, "Sex and Money: Pleasures That Leave You Empty and Grace That Satisfies" (Crossway).

No comments: