Monday, May 18, 2009

The Puritans Regarding Worship

The Puritans prayed:

"Glorious God, it is the flame of my life to worship Thee, the crown and glory of my soul to adore Thee, heavenly pleasure to approach Thee. Give me power by Thy Spirit to help me worship now, that I may forget the world, be brought into fullness of life, be refreshed, comforted, blessed.

"Give me knowledge of Thy goodness that I might not be over-awed by Thy greatness; give me Jesus, Son of Man, Son of God, that I might not be terrified, but drawn near with filial love, with holy boldness; He is my Mediator, Interpreter, Branch, Judge, Lamb; Him I glorify, in Him I am set on high.

"I am pardoned through the blood of Jesus--give me a new sense of it, continue to pardon me by it; may I come every day to the fountain, and every day to be washed anew, that I may worship Thee always in Spirit and Truth."

(Valley of Vision: Worship)

2 comments:

Stephen said...

While I ws reading this prayer, I was reminded of a couple of old hymns: 'Be Thou My Vision', and the lesser known (and sung) 'Take Thou Our Minds, Dear Lord'. As a refresher:
Take Thou our minds, dear Lord, we humbly pray; Give us the mind of Christ throughout each day. Teach us to know the truth that sets us free; Grant us in all our thoughts to honor Thee.
Take Thou our hearts, O Christ, they are Thine own; Come Thou within our souls and claim Thy throne. Help us to shed abroad Thy generous love; Use us to make the earth like heaven above.
Take Thou our wills, dear God! Hold Thou full sway; Have in our inmost souls Thy perfect way. Guard Thou each sacred hour from selfish ease; Guide Thou our ordered lives as Thou dost please.
Take Thou ourselves, O Lord, heart, mind, and will; Through our surrendered souls Thy plans fulfill. We yield ourselves to Thee: time, talents, all; We hear, and henceforth heed, Thy sovereign call.

This insightful old hymn of dedication also provides perspective on the post and message concerning idolatry, I think.

EH said...

I appreciate both of the comments which Stephen has posted. They were both filled with insightful quotes which were convicting and challenging.