Sunday, February 22, 2009

A Prayer for Those Who Want to Want God

From A.W. Tozer's The Pursuit of God:

O God, I have tasted Your goodness,and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more.I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace.I am ashamed of my lack of desire.O God, the Triune God,I want to want You;I long to be filled with longing;I thirst to be made more thirsty still.Show me Your glory, I pray,so I may know You indeed.Begin in mercy a new work of love within me…Give me grace to rise and follow You up from this misty lowlandwhere I have wandered so long.In Jesus’ name. Amen.

HT: Grace Community Bible Church; Justin Taylor

1 comment:

arc said...

Teresa of Avila cried, "Oh God,I don't love you. I don't even want to love you, but I want to want to love you!"

May I have the sense to earnestly pray for the desire for God. It's easy to become tangled in the tangible when clarity is only possible when God is all I want, when He is all I run after.